3 Weeks into Japan
I used my artistic skills of a 9 year old to illustrate the above map to show how far we have come from arriving in Osaka on the 11th September. All of the scenery has been spectacular, but the area of the north coast adjoining the Sea of Japan particularly so.
It's not all been plain sailing though. We have had our share of rain, causing us to have to camp in an abandoned camp site whilst the rain and the wind passed through. Fortunately we were able to camp directly beside what used to be a covered barbecue and had a dry area to store panniers and be able to cook.
| One soggy tent |
| This was taken by an Australian couple who had taken the train out to the beach that day. |
Yesterday in particular though was an absolute soaker. We started in relatively light rain, and initially it seemed quite pleasant. As it does though, it gradually got worse until you realised that it was pelting it down. This was bad enough, but Japanese roads seem to have an odd camber meaning that there is a constant puddle directly along the part of the road you are cycling on. Fortunately we had booked a hotel and arrived at reception completely dripping. The receptionist seemed entirely unfazed as I pulled off my cycling gloves and then wiped my soaking hands on the only dry tissue that I possessed. Even then it was all I could do to stop drips of water falling onto his pristine reservation form that I needed to sign.
In the hotel room, every available surface for hanging damp clothes got used, including, I am ashamed to say, the TV. Should any Japanese businessman wonder why the device exploded when he went to turn it on, I apologise in advance.
But all this has its rewards.........
| The reward for wet weather is some fantastic views |
| This was taken on a large bit of reclaimed land by Lake Nagawi. The wind was causing the unharvested rice to ripple, and just for a moment there was a rather English feel to the view. |
One lesson that we hopefully have learnt is that on a rest day, do exactly that! Sian had seen that we were close to what a youtube video had called "Japans most terrifying bridge", the Eshima Ohahashi bridge. So off we went on a 50km round trip that included cycling over this bridge. It's all about camera angles and really wasn't that bad!
| Our slightly more mundane view of the Eshima Ohahashi Bridge |
Comments
Post a Comment