Almost busted, but we made good our escape.
Well, having had a good night’s sleep and everything charged, we had our breakfast ( again eating pretty much anything presented to us), loaded our bikes and started off.
WIth the exception that Frau Bossell came chasing out to us with her phone in the hand. “I zink that it is the police. They vont to have a word with you”. "Oh cripes DM” as Dangermouse’s assistant Penfold might have said. With all thoughts of the various permutations about what this might mean, including how the heck did anyone know where we were I picked up the phone. “Is that Mr Pfaff Muller?”, the German voice with a good English accent asked. “Err, no”, I replied. “Are you sure?”, the voice continued. Sadly, the confusion of the situation precluded me from telling him, in no uncertain words, that I was quite sure what my name was, thank you very much.
I handed the phone back to the Frau, who continued the conversation, which clearly became a little more fraught. “You are WRONG!- zey are the only English people here” were about the last words we heard as we waved goodbye to her and made good our exit.
The weather was good, and the route, according to the guide book that I have started to lose all faith in, was an undulating one. I guess it depends on what you mean by undulating. If you mean some gentle downhills followed by some very mean uphills that you have no choice but to get off and push your bikes up, then yes, they were undulating.
By lunchtime we had largely stopped fearing any helicopter or police car that was around and settled by the most marvellous spot by the Rhine. Just occasionally you come across some genuinely timeless scenes, and this was one of them. No trains, pylons or tourists, just a scene that was so reminscent of 18th century landscape painters. All that was needed was some cattle taking on water accompanied by a cattle herder in traditional costume.
![]() |
| Our lunchtime idyllic spot |
![]() |
| This is the Rheinfall, where a hard limestone base hasn't eroded away. The Swiss, most cleverly, have strategically planted trees to force you to pay an entrance fee. So this is all you are getting from me. |
Today was a tough day, and fortunately the promised rain held off enough for us to pitch our tent in Waldshut in Germany. I did the supermarket dash, Sian sorted out the rest of the gear. A campsite that is so typical of how continental campsites are - a bit crowded, but fantastic facilities, including a seating area with charging sockets.
![]() |
| A lot of photos include views of the Rhine. You would almost think that we were following it all the way. Oh, hang on............ |



Comments
Post a Comment